Friday, January 6, 2012

Chapter #1

Sorry it has taken so long to get my postings and assignments going...I have been in Florida and my internet connection was almost impressively slow. So without further delay I would like to begin talking about Chapter 1. This is a good introductory chapter to the text. It offers good information on what an adolescent is, what to expect, the differences in all types of schools, and background information about laws passed that coincide with Middle School teaching. The most beneficial section of the chapter was about the different types of schools and how they run. I was not sure exactly how year-around schools worked, and what it would entail for me if I happened to teach at one. The section offered good information and broke it down into small fragments. I feel more prepared and open to teaching in a different setting that I am not completely familiar with.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa- I too thought that this section on the different types of schools was the most beneficial. Before reading the chapter I had heard of block schedules and year round school, but didn't really understand how they worked, since I never experienced it. Since we are going to take jobs where ever we can get one there is the possibility that we will teach in a school with one of these set ups. From reading the chapter I really hope that I end up at a school with a flexible block schedule. That way I can still have the shorter time for everyday lessons and use the longer days for projects.

    ReplyDelete